This almost did not turn out.
In fact, yesterday, as I was putting most of it together I kept thinking in my head, "Amber, there is a reason that most people make things in a plain color. Because it always works out. It always looks great. Why, just once could you not try something in a plain color..."
|**A note about the fabric: it is black/white pinstripes of varying widths, so doesn't photograph well.|
Seams, etc are straight and pressed, but it's hard to tell:)
This went on for some time.
Happily though, it all worked out! To my liking anyway:)
This is Simplicity 2554, View F, with alterations.
I bought this 100% rayon (that really doesn't feel like 100% rayon) at Hancock Fabric a couple weeks ago. $1 a yard. Of course I didn't buy an obscene amount of fabric. A perfectly manageable amount, in case you were wondering. (By the way, which side does 15 yards of fabric fall on--out of curiosity?)
I cut a size 8, added 2 inches to the length. (My measurements are a 12-14 mix) I also added some shirring to the back panel to give some waist definition--looking back I wish I had done a little more.
I also added cap sleeves.
I first just cut 4 of the sleeve facing, thinking that would give me enough coverage if I just flipped it out, but no luck. So I added this piece:
|11" by 3" at the widest portion|
|it ends up looking like another layer of ruffles!|
|without jewelry/hair in the way|
This skirt is a "gift" from my Mom. (stolen) But she's off on a LDS Humanitarian mission aboard the USNS Comfort. So she doesn't need it anyway. Thanks, Mom.
Also, I needed some jewelry, so I went to JoAnn and bought
For $5. And added a bracelet my Mom gave me (thanks, Mom). And made:
fabric: $3 (only used just over one yard, but I include the initial purchase into the first project)
elastic thread: stash
grand total: $3.99
Happy Easter to you all!
Thanks for your comments on my last post--you guys are awesome! I'll be topstitching the bust dart on the dress, and I can't wait to show it off!